The history of our Castle
The castle hotel was built in 1733 by the Anhalt-Bernburg prince Victor-Friedrich as jade and armory in a simple but imposing baroque style. After the relocation of the princely residence from Bernburg to Ballenstedt in 1765 by Prince Friedrich-Albrecht, the building became even more important as a guesthouse and lodging house and a place of festive courtly life. A special feature is then as today the Redoutensaal.
In the new residence, Schlossplatz also underwent a transformation, improvement, and revitalization. The hotel is located opposite the Seelhorst's house (now a museum), the pretty little Schlosstheater built-in 1788 (incidentally the oldest in Saxony-Anhalt), the Kavalierhaus behind the Grosse Gasthof, the former Marstall and several large courtyards built for the court officials Kavalierhäusern on the upper avenue, the prestigious and stylish, the then small residence worthy ensemble of castles.
In the period of residence, which lasted until 1863, Ballenstedt experienced above all the castle district under Prince Friedrich-Albrecht and the following dukes Alexius-Friedrich-Christian and Alexander-Carl a lively court and cultural life. The composer Carl Christian Agthe, the "Mozart of the North Harz" was the court music director here. Albert Lortzing conducted his opera "Undine" in the theater. Franz Liszt designed the II. Anhalt Music Festival in a major musical event in 1852. The Ballenstedter court painter, chamberlain, and poet of Ballenstedter Biedermeier, Wilhelm von Kügelgen ("Youth memories of an old man", etc.), son of Gerhard von Kügelgen, known as a Goethe-portraitist, worked here and drew Dresdner painter friends such as C.G. Peschel, E.F. Oehme, Ludwig Richter and Caspar David Friedrich to visit Ballenstedt in the Harz.
The Ballenstedter painter and writer sisters Caroline and Wilhelmine Bardua also made their name here, as in Weimar and Berlin. The wife Alexander-Carls, Duchess Friederike, sister of the Danish king, commissioned the royal Prussian garden director, the Rhinelander Peter Joseph Lenné with the partial redesign of the Ballenstedter Schlosspark, today a pearl in the circle of Saxony-Anhalt "garden dreams".
The highly educated and socially active sister Alexius-Friedrich-Christians, Princess Pauline zu Lippe-Detmold, owes the Ballenstedter Fürstin-Paulinen-Biliothek its valuable literary and art-historical treasure. Also to the Prussian court in Berlin u.a. by the marriage of the Duke Alexander-Carl's sister, Princess Wilhelmine-Louise, with the nephew of the Prussian King Friedrich-Wilhelm III. close relationships. The wedding held in Ballenstedt was of course also a big event for the inn.
The residence period radiated from Ballenstedt beyond into the Harz, after Alexisbad (a foundation Duke Alexius 1810), after Mägdesprung, in the Selketal and after Gernrode (restoration of the famous Ottonian Gero Church of St. Cyriacus9, Hoym and Frose Anhalt-Bernburg line passed the duchy's reign to Dessau, but the splendor of the century is still reflected in its cultural legacy, the mansions of the upper town close to the castle and the memory of many personalities who worked here.
The Grosse Gasthof was until the end of the war 1945 first address in Ballenstedt and in the whole Harz foothills. After that, partly used by foreigners, he temporarily housed the boarding school of the Institute for Teacher Education and the Museum of Local History and then fell into decay. Between 1996 and 1997, the hotel rebuilt as a complete reconstruction, outwardly in the old appearance, but modern in modern comfortable furnishings new.